In his new column, Ask Dr. Word Wizard, Richard Lederer will answer your burning questions about grammar and punctuation. Are you stumped by compound modifiers? Unsure of the meaning of an adverbial phrase? Email your questions to Professional Practices and look for the answers in the next issue of Plexus! Please include "Ask Dr. Word Wizard" in the subject line.
Thursday, October 23, 2014
AHDI's testing partner Kryterion, who administers AHDI credentialing exams, will undergo an update to their system soon. This will allow test takers the ability to use Windows 8 or a Mac computer to take their exam, which currently are incompatible. During this transition, from approximately November 13 through November 30, test takers will not be able to schedule or take an Online Proctored (OLP) exam. AHDI test takers will be able to schedule and take OLP Exams through November 12, 2014. AHDI test takers can continue to schedule and take Onsite exams and can purchase and take practice exams.
The only exams impacted during this time will be the RHDS/CHDS OLP exams.
Wednesday, October 22, 2014
In today's world of rapid change, it's necessary to be proactive to keep your skills and knowledge current. AHDI can help! Offering online continuing education presentations from the comfort of your home or onsite office, it couldn't be easier or more convenient. See all available webinars here. View the AHDI Events Calendar to learn about AHDI component events and other industry-related events.
Healthcare Documentation Today: Challenges and Opportunities for AHDI and Its Professionals (or, What Would Buddy Do?)
Presenter: Susan Dooley, MHA, CMT, AHDI-F
Time: 3 PM PDT/6 PM EDT
CE Credit: 1 ML
How MS-Word-Savvy Are You? Advanced Tools and Techniques of Microsoft Word
Presenters: Jacky Tsui and Carolyn McEwen, with Amber Jess
Time: 11 AM PDT/2 PM EDT
CE Credit: 1 MTT or 1 TW
AHDI would like to congratulate the following individuals who have met the requirements to be deemed an AHDI Fellow.
Aileen Burnett, RHDS, AHDI-F
Sharon B. Parker, CMT, AHDI-F
If you have given your time and energy to advancing the profession through industry and association service, you may qualify for the designation of AHDI Fellow. Download and review the application. For questions regarding this designation, contact Tina Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteers are vital to the success of AHDI and the services, resources, and representation we provide our members. We need your passion and ideas to further our efforts in workforce development, credentialing, education, membership, and advocacy. Won’t you join us?
Volunteering with AHDI offers you:
- Opportunities to interact, network, and learn from fellow healthcare documentation specialists
- Additional experience to develop new skills
- Recognition from colleagues, business executives, and industry thought leaders
- Ways to contribute to innovation and professionalism within our sector
- Opportunities to build rapport and engage in social activities with fellow volunteers
There are several ways you can get involved in AHDI. Listed below are current opportunities available with information on the time commitment, qualifications, and how to apply. If you’d like to volunteer but you’re uncertain on what might be the best fit, please contact AHDI by email email@example.com or call toll free 1-800-982-2182 to discuss options.
Opportunities currently available:
- CMT/CHDS Quiz Writer for Plexus
- Writers & Editors for the Research and Development Team (RADT)
- Book of Style Development Team
- Educators Alliance Steering Committee
- Managers/Supervisors Alliance Steering Committee
- Business Alliance Steering Committee
- Membership Development Workgroup
- 2014-2015 Work Plan Short Term Projects
- Webinar Speakers
- AHDI Components Seeking Volunteers
- Gulf Coast Chapter (Houston, Texas)
- AHDI-Southeast Regional (Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, Tennessee)
Friday, September 26, 2014
There are many benefits included with your AHDI membership. Oftentimes, its hard to remember all of the details and how to access them. The AHDI Member Reference Guide is a quick .pdf download from the AHDI website, which provides a snapshot of your benefits all in one place. It covers items such as:
- How to login to the AHDI website, including how to reset your password
- Ways to get connected to fellow AHDI members and to your community of like-minded professionals
- Where to access the professional resources and tools to expand your breadth of knowledge and improve your skills
- And more!
Visit ahdionline.org to download your copy.
Thursday, September 25, 2014
September marks the last month you'll have access to the current line-up of recorded sessions currently posted in the Online Learning Library. These are absolutely free for our Individual Professional Members and all pre-approved for continuing education credits (CECs).
- Keyboarding Techniques for Fast and Efficient SRT Editing
- Natural Language Processing: Empowering MT Knowledge Workers with a Valuable Asset
- Start Projects, Making a Ruckus, and Taking More Risks
- Dreaming of a Good Night's Sleep: Parasomnias and Other Sleep Disorders
- Meaningful Use: The Essentials for Medical Transcriptionists
- Navigating Benchmark KB for Greater Productivity
- Editing Tips and Techniques
Visit the Online Learning Library to download this recorded webinar presentation (valid login required; available to AHDI Individual Professional members only).